[ltp] Fedora on X60s -- newbie pointers

Adrian Walker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 20:29:32 -0400

------=_Part_5119_31384167.1188779372857

Hi All --

As a newbie to installing RedHat linux on a Lenovo X60s, I received some
good advice from the list, for which many thanks.

Fedora is now running fine on the X60s, except for wireless and screen
brightness control.

For other folks who might be new to this particular install, here are some
hopefully useful things discovered along the way.

I downloaded the Fedora files to a Windows XP machine, burnt them to media,
then used that to install on the X60s.

1.  The Fedora version I used is Core 6.  (Core 7 appears to be only for 64
bit machines as of Sept 2007).

2. Older versions of Fedora (I tried 4 first) have severe problems
installing on the X60s.

3.  Don't even think of trying to handle the single DVD image of FC6 on a
Windows XP machine.  Mine went seriously haywire trying to check the
SHA1SUM, and could not burn the unchecked file.  Seems the file is just too
big for XP. Use the 4-CD download instead.

4.  If booting from the first CD does not go quite right first off, you may
get stuck in the Grub boot loader, without  a working "quit" command!
Switch everything off, and try again from "cold" state.

Hope this helps.  Any hints about controlling screen brightness without
recompiling the kernel much appreciated. Likewise for enabling wireless.

                                                  Cheers,  -- Adrian

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering

------=_Part_5119_31384167.1188779372857

Hi All --<br>
As a newbie to installing RedHat linux on a Lenovo X60s, I received some good advice from the list, for which many thanks.<br>
Fedora is now running fine on the X60s, except for wireless and screen brightness control.<br>
For other folks who might be new to this particular install, here are some hopefully useful things discovered along the way.<br>
I downloaded the Fedora files to a Windows XP machine, burnt them to media, then used that to install on the X60s.<br>
1.&nbsp; The Fedora version I used is Core 6.&nbsp; (Core 7 appears to be only for 64 bit machines as of Sept 2007).<br>
&nbsp;<br>
2. Older versions of Fedora (I tried 4 first) have severe problems installing on the X60s.<br>
3.&nbsp; Don&#39;t even think of trying to handle the single DVD image of
FC6 on a Windows XP machine.&nbsp; Mine went seriously haywire trying
to check the SHA1SUM, and could not burn the unchecked file.&nbsp;
Seems the file is just too big for XP. Use the 4-CD download instead.<br>
4.&nbsp; If booting from the first CD does not go quite right first
off, you may get stuck in the Grub boot loader, without&nbsp; a working
&quot;quit&quot; command! &nbsp; Switch everything off, and try again from &quot;cold&quot;
state.<br>
Hope this helps.&nbsp; Any hints about controlling screen brightness
without recompiling the kernel much appreciated. Likewise for enabling
wireless.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Cheers,&nbsp; -- Adrian<br>
Internet Business Logic<br>
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English<br>
Adrian Walker<br>
Reengineering<br>

------=_Part_5119_31384167.1188779372857--