[ltp] Suspend with crypted swap?

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 03 Sep 2007 09:01:10 +0200

Daniel Maier wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 09:39:18PM +0200, Peter Jordan wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have a ThinkPad R60 (debian lenny | kernel 2.6.22.6 | latest suspend
>> patch) with a full-crypted (including swap) filesystem and now, i want
>> to use suspend to ram/disk.
>>
>> My problem is that I do not know what to do?
>>
>> Is there anybody how can help me or knows a good howto?
>>
> Suspend and resume with builtin swsusp do work out of the box if you
> are using an initrd generated by initramfs-tools.

C'mon guys, the original posted talked about encrypted swap. That is, on
suspend, the kernel has the key to encrypt. But on resume, the kernel
does not, so it cannot read the image (which is encrypted).

@Peter: I don't know about the in-kernel suspend, but tux-on-ice
(formely known as suspend2) does work that way, although at the price of
using an initramfs. You might want to look at http://www.tuxonice.net
and http://wiki.tuxonice.net/EncryptedSwapAndRoot (however, at the
moment the wiki seems to be down, so the latter link is from my
bookmarks...)

Hope this helps
Ulrich