[ltp] Suspend failing on T60

Jesse Sheidlower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:17:10 -0400

(I have previously posted some of this to the debian-laptops
list, so forgive me for the double post.)

I'm a new Linux user running Debian Etch on an ThinkPad
T60. When I first installed Debian, suspend/resume worked fine
out of the box. Recently--apparently after a kernel security
update--suspend has stopped working, and I can't figure out
why, or how to get it working again.

Whether I shut the lid, or click "suspend" on the Gnome Power
Manager icon, I simply get a message saying that suspend has
failed, with a link for more information which doesn't
actually say anything useful. There's nothing helpful in
/var/log/syslog, and I'm not sure where else to check, or
whether there's are command-line equivalents that might
provide more detailed information. The problem persists even
after rebooting.

On the debian-laptops list, someone suggested that this can be
caused by problems with video drivers, but neither
re-installing the driver (I was originally using the vesa
driver in the generic xorg.conf, which worked fine from the
start), nor installing a new driver (the fglrx driver, to go
with the Radeon X1400 card that's in the T60 (and I confess
that I can't tell the difference between this and the generic
driver)) have helped.

I'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions for how to
resolve this. A laptop without suspend is not terribly
functional for me, and I came to Linux specifically because I
needed suspend to work (FreeBSD, whence I came, doesn't yet
support suspend on dual-core processors).

Thank you.

Jesse Sheidlower