[ltp] Suspend failing on T60

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:28:13 +0200

Hi,

just install the package:
hibernate

it will do the suspend for you.

Gnome Power Manager ist just a GUI, it notifies the HAL Daemon about your
wish to suspend.
And the HAL Daemon looks into your system how suspend could be done.
If the hibernate package is found, it will use it.. and suspend works.

And of course, if you use a ATI Card, there will be some troubles in resumi=
ng
=66rom suspend. So make sure that you use the latest driver.

If you really need some tweaks, look into the hibernation config files, it =
supports
nearly all tweaks you'll find from various people.

cu

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> (I have previously posted some of this to the debian-laptops
> list, so forgive me for the double post.)
>=20
> I'm a new Linux user running Debian Etch on an ThinkPad
> T60. When I first installed Debian, suspend/resume worked fine
> out of the box. Recently--apparently after a kernel security
> update--suspend has stopped working, and I can't figure out
> why, or how to get it working again.
>=20
> Whether I shut the lid, or click "suspend" on the Gnome Power
> Manager icon, I simply get a message saying that suspend has
> failed, with a link for more information which doesn't
> actually say anything useful. There's nothing helpful in
> /var/log/syslog, and I'm not sure where else to check, or
> whether there's are command-line equivalents that might
> provide more detailed information. The problem persists even
> after rebooting.
>=20
> On the debian-laptops list, someone suggested that this can be
> caused by problems with video drivers, but neither
> re-installing the driver (I was originally using the vesa
> driver in the generic xorg.conf, which worked fine from the
> start), nor installing a new driver (the fglrx driver, to go
> with the Radeon X1400 card that's in the T60 (and I confess
> that I can't tell the difference between this and the generic
> driver)) have helped.
>=20
> I'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions for how to
> resolve this. A laptop without suspend is not terribly
> functional for me, and I came to Linux specifically because I
> needed suspend to work (FreeBSD, whence I came, doesn't yet
> support suspend on dual-core processors).

--=20
Florian Reitmeir