[ltp] Radeon: hot-swap VGA-out monitor

Christopher Singley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:56:56 -0500

On Friday 07 September 2007 08:48:04 Andrey Kislyuk wrote:

> You need not only xrandr 1.2, but also >=libxrandr-1.2.1,
> xorg-server-1.3, libdrm-git, and xf86-video-ati-git. (These are now out
> as part of xorg 7.3.) The easiest way I've found to use display hotplug
> is to run randr --auto when adding or removing a display, and configure
> the resolution of each output. This can be completely automated in a
> udev rule, but I haven't seen one yet.
>
> -ak

xorg-7.3 made it into Portage (thanks guys!) and I installed the update; I
downloaded xf86-video-ati-6.7.192 and installed that manually.

That has got the display hotplug working -- it looks like pretty impressive
work, too.

However, the radeon driver's mergedFB seems to be no longer working.  It's
always just in clone mode; I can't get a 2048x768 desktop.  Whether
I hotplug the external monitor or start X with it attached, Xorg.log always
gives this output:
===
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "MergedFB" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "CRT2Position" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "MetaModes" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "CRT2HSync" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "CRT2VRefresh" is not used
===
I notice that the man page for radeon that ships with this version of
xf86-video-ati has an abbreviated list of options that doesn't include all
the MergedFB stuff.  Is it the case that this functionality just hasn't yet
been ported to the new driver?

Have you (has anyone) got MergedFB working with the new xorg?
Or regular Xinerama, for that matter -- anything that does a dubl-wide
desktop?

cs