[ltp] T61p with nVIDIA Quadro FX 570M / WUXGA on 15.4" ?

Thomas B. Ruecker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:15:09 +0000

Marius Gedminas schrieb:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 11:03:19AM +0200, Bjørn Ola Smievoll wrote:
>
>> Had my T61p for about a week, and got OpenSUSE 10.3 Beta 3 up and running
>> yesterday.  Have tried among others Ubuntu 7.04 and Fedora 7, but all
>> distros have had (minor) bugs that makes installation hard (i.e. Fedora
>> doesn't recognize the cd/dvd-drive after initial boot on from the cd).
>>

> I've had mine for a month now.  Installation (Ubuntu Gutsy Tribe 3
> prerelease) was very painful then, but many of the bugs I've reported
> (or found already reported) are already fixed.
>
> I've switched SATA mode to Compatibility in the BIOS to get the CD to
> work.  I haven't tried switching it back to AHCI to see if newer
> kernel/disto config supports it.

On the T60p I previously owned it was easily fixed by extending the
kernel command line by "libata.atapi_enabled=1"
On the T61p and current kernels I was under the impression that this was
not needed anymore but I left the line there just in case.

>> An additional upside was that OpenSUSE instantly recognized and configured
>> the Intel wlan card.
>>

> Does it work with Network Manager?  It doesn't for me (Ubuntu Gutsy,
> ipw3945).
>
> I'm very disappointed with Intel's ipw3945 drivers:

<snip />
have you tried iwlwifi drivers? They improved vastly in quality and are
reported to be more stable than the ipw driver nowadays.
Also they don't need a binary daemon and work with NM just fine.

Thomas