[thinkpad] [ltp] How do the new T60s compare to the older T42 Thinkpads?

lou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 08:29:10 -0400

portsample wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm thinking about picking up a new T42 ThinkPad while they are still
> available. There are a bunch on sale at ubid.com for $550.00-$625.00.
>
> How do the new Lenovo T60/61 units compare to one of these last classic
> ThinkPads? I have read that the T60s are flimsier and that the
> components are cheaper and have a higher failure rate. Is this true?
>
> What have people found w/these? How do they compare? Thanks for

We have varieties from T20 through Z and T 61's. I just traded off a
wide screen T43 and got a T61 with the SXGA 14.1" screen or whatever
they call it. I find that the newer (higher number) the model, the more
sensitive the wireless. My daughter's Z61 worked fine on a 30% signal
where my T43 was marginal, but I was running SUSE and she was running
XP, if that made a difference. I don't think the quality or ruggedness
has changed much, if any. At least not with my units.

I don't much like the wide bodies (why I got rid of the T43) and the
metal cover on the Z's is not for me either, but that is eye candy. I
dislike all eye candy. Obviously, that is just personal preference, but
the wide bodies are not friendly on the train or in a briefcase. Too
wide, too thick. I bought the T61 with the small battery for when I
carry it to a client's place and a larger battery for when I need to run
extended (the larger batteries stick out the rear).

The T42's have been quite serviceable (in use) and we have a couple of
people using them with no complaints (they are not the type to make
compliments but yell when stuff either doesn't work or they can't make
it work). These are strictly for business use, email, Word, Excel,
manufacturer proprietary software, etc.
I would only consider Thinkpads because I can't stand the little touch
pad thingie but can work with the joystick. I have a T20 that I bought
when it was new, some 7 or 8 years ago. I had to replace the cable that
runs from the processor to the LCD screen and inverter a couple of years
ago. Doesn't see much use anymore but is a workhorse machine.

You can't compare failure rates until they have been out there for a
while. One of my Z60's has been in constant use for a year with no
problems (Windows puked on the modem drivers once, but that comes
standard with all PC's). The user is a complete novice. The widebody Z's
make a nice desktop replacement when you move your desktop back and
forth to a vacation home, RV,  or whatever for a while. Don't ever put
anything, like a camera, on the top of a Z when it is closed and sitting
on a port replicator, it  is slippery (ask my son in law) :)

If I were making your decision, based on our experience, I would go for
one of the new ones.  If you plan to run Linux on it (I am running
Ubuntu on my T61), be prepared to: fiddle with the kernel, wait for more
updates, or do without some stuff..... like suspend to RAM, Sound,
Brightness control, etc.

But, after reading your note I am going to recommend the T42's to a
client who needs to replace a couple of T22's.

--
Lou
"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired."