[ltp] Z61p GPU Thermal Issue

vjaneczko linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:38:52 -0700 (PDT)

I know this isn't related to Linux, but I've got a Z61p with 2.5 gb of ram
running Windows XP.  When the system runs 'normal', non-GPU-intensive apps,
the normal output temp is about 110f - I go low-tech and place a candy
thermometer at the vent. But when I run 'Company of Heroes', which hammers
the GPU, the temp rises somewhere to 149f. If I don't have a small fan
sitting in front of the air vent pushing in air, the video goes kaput.  I
think that when I added the 2nd stick of ram, it may impact the flow through
the air vent, which is located under the touchpad. I don't think ACPI would
have anything to do with it, it's the GPU bustin' balls to get the job done.

>From what I can find, there's no way to set the fan to a max speed - at
least in the XP world.  If anyone has heard of any way to effectively
improve the fan operation or help keep it cool, just pass it along.