[ltp] Re: How do the new T60s compare to the older T42 Thinkpads? (portsample)

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:13:10 +0200

--=-fjBrrDvQBpXV+rcbBntD

Hi,

the 60th series are all with S-ATA hard drives. The ATA-133 bus is still
faster enough for the hard drives, so S-ATA is not really needed for
performance.

Touchpad can be turned of (including the lower keys) with this command:
synclient TouchpadOff=3D1

and turned back on:
synclient TouchpadOff=3D0

I don't have a T60 or newer series, because my company got problems with
the first models (motherboard problems), display failure and they
changed to brand. Almost all problems seems to be solved by Lenovo, so
give it a try.

Greetz

Konstantin

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 20:32 -0800, portsample wrote:
> Thanks for the responses to my question. I am thinking that I may
> upgrade to a T61, or whatever is around in a couple of months. My
> current machine is a T-30 that I'll have had for 5 years as of next
> January. Aside from replacing the hard drive that failed 2 years ago,
> this has been a dynamite little machine. In the last month, however it
> has taken it's first drops; the first was off of the seat of a pickup
> truck and onto the cab floor- this resulted in a crack in the lower left
> corner of the case...surprising given that it was a fall of only
> 14" (35cm) or so. The second was when my wife's dachshund tried to run
> through the powercord: the cord did not disconnect and the laptop
> clattered to the floor, the dog never broke stride. This machine has
> seen daily use and has traveled w/me extensively as evidenced by the
> bare metal showing though all of the panels on the bottom of the
> machine.
>=20
> Another question: Is anyone aware of a website that may have some
> insight (gossip) regarding what the new models might be that we can
> expect from Lenovo in the future? I've checked the Lenovo-Blog site
> ("Inside the Box") and periodically check the Thinkpads.com forum. There
> are a number of recent innovations that I have noticed in other laptops
> that would be sweet in ThinkPads: magnetic power connectors (ala Apple
> powerbooks) that detach rather that yanking your Thinkpad off of the
> table and SATA hard drives that allow for faster VMWare sessions. Also
> what is the possibility of AMD 64-bit Turon processors in TPs? Other
> innovations?=20
>=20
> I wish they would offer the Trackpoint w/out the Touchpad on the
> T-series.
>=20
> Thanks again for the responses.
>=20
> portsample
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> portsample wrote:=20
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm thinking about picking up a new T42 ThinkPad while they are still
> > available. There are a bunch on sale at ubid.com for $550.00-$625.00.=20
> >
> > How do the new Lenovo T60/61 units compare to one of these last classic
> > ThinkPads? I have read that the T60s are flimsier and that the
> > components are cheaper and have a higher failure rate. Is this true?
> >
> > What have people found w/these? How do they compare? Thanks for
> >  =20
> We have varieties from T20 through Z and T 61's. I just traded off a=20
> wide screen T43 and got a T61 with the SXGA 14.1" screen or whatever=20
> they call it. I find that the newer (higher number) the model, the more=20
> sensitive the wireless. My daughter's Z61 worked fine on a 30% signal=20
> [...]
--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-fjBrrDvQBpXV+rcbBntD

--=-fjBrrDvQBpXV+rcbBntD--