[ltp] Z61p GPU Thermal Issue

Hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:48:21 +0100

On Monday 17 September 2007 01:38, vjaneczko wrote:
> I know this isn't related to Linux, but I've got a Z61p with 2.5 gb of ram
> running Windows XP.  When the system runs 'normal', non-GPU-intensive apps,
> the normal output temp is about 110f - I go low-tech and place a candy
> thermometer at the vent. But when I run 'Company of Heroes', which hammers
> the GPU, the temp rises somewhere to 149f. If I don't have a small fan
> sitting in front of the air vent pushing in air, the video goes kaput.  I
> think that when I added the 2nd stick of ram, it may impact the flow
> through the air vent, which is located under the touchpad. I don't think
> ACPI would have anything to do with it, it's the GPU bustin' balls to get
> the job done.

If your machine locks up from overheating when running Windoze and a Windoze
app, then I'd recommend you have a word with IBM/Lenovo about it & get them
to replace it under warrenty... There's no reason it should crash, assuming
you're using standard sized memory modules (From memory (Ha ha) RAM is
considered a user serviceable part).

Hamish.