[ltp] Thinkpad warranty not covering screen white spots damage?

dasDasein linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:50:34 -0400

------=_Part_48154_19752946.1190663434947

They quoted me $750 USD to replace screen... OUCH!  I won't be putting any
more money in my x40 and it should still has some life left in it.  The
white spots are not a horrible problem, but I was hoping it would be covered
under the existing warranty.  I started noticing the problem after about the
first year of use and it has slowly been getting worse.

I noticed specials on X61's from Lenovo are starting at $1025 USD now ;^)
although they only come with 1 year warranty included.  My x40 came with 3
years.

I also hear rumors that Apple may come out with an ultralight MacBook.  I
will probably wait a while and see.

On 9/24/07, Mike Shaw <mdshaw89@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/24/07, dasDasein <das@dase.in> wrote:
> >
> > I called IBM service last week for my Thinkpad x40 which is still under
> > warranty until December.  I explained that it has been getting white spots
> > on the screen.  They sent a box for it to ship and after a few days I have
> > received a call that they have removed the screen for testing and all check
> > out O.K. EXCEPT for the white spots, which they tell me is due to
> > pressure damage and is not covered under warranty.
> >
> > Has any one else experienced this.  Have you had white spots repaired
> > (screen replaced) under warranty?
>

> Your response does not surprise me.  I had the same issue happen with my
> work laptop, a IBM branded T41,(I work at IBM) and I was told the same
> thing.  Basically I have been living with mine for the past 3 years.  I
> don't know of anyway to get rid of or "re-surface" the screen other than
> just replacing it.  But it looks like for this it will be at your own cost.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike
> --
> "Darn bushes yowling at me again." - Old Man Wickles in Scooby Doo 2:
> Monsters Unleashed

------=_Part_48154_19752946.1190663434947

They quoted me $750 USD to replace screen... OUCH!&nbsp; I won&#39;t be putting any more money in my x40 and it should still has some life left in it.&nbsp; The white spots are not a horrible problem, but I was hoping it would be covered under the existing warranty.&nbsp; I started noticing the problem after about the first year of use and it has slowly been getting worse.
I called IBM service last week for my Thinkpad x40 which is still under warranty until December.&nbsp; I explained that it has been getting white spots on the screen.&nbsp; They sent a box for it to ship and after a few days I have received a call that they have removed the screen for testing and all check out
O.K. EXCEPT for the white spots, which they tell me is due to pressure damage and is not covered under warranty.<br><br>Has any one else experienced this.&nbsp; Have you had white spots repaired (screen replaced) under warranty?
my work laptop, a IBM branded T41,(I work at IBM) and I was told the same thing.&nbsp;
Basically I have been living with mine for the past 3 years.&nbsp; I don&#39;t
know of anyway to get rid of or &quot;re-surface&quot; the screen other than just
replacing it.&nbsp; But it looks like for this it will be at your own cost.<br>
Good luck,<br>

------=_Part_48154_19752946.1190663434947--