[ltp] Thinkpad warranty not covering screen white spots damage?

dasDasein linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:37:49 -0400

------=_Part_48444_18453496.1190666269171

Mine are visible from particular angles of view (left and right angles of
view), fortunately straight on view is not so bad.  They have been slowly
getting worse (growing in number of pixels) over the past year or so.  They
are also visible in the bios screen.  They now are a dozen to two dozen
pixels in two groups.  I call them white pixels, but there are usually
lighter in color than whatever the existing background color is, making them
stand out as whitish.  However, I believe very dark backgrounds, near black
seem to help.  Most applications have a light or off white background and
they actually really stand out on light background for some reason.  When I
first saw them I thought it was something on the screen that needed
cleaning.  I will experiment more with it, when I get it back from IBM.

What is rather annoying is that when I initially called IBM and explained
the problem they sounded like they new what it was and could take care of
it, but did not say anything about it not being covered by warranty.  Then
they called me to tell me it would cost $750 to replace to replace the
screen.  If I knew it was not covered by warranty, I would not have bothered
to send it in the first place.  It has been gone for about a week now.