[ltp] Thinkpad warranty not covering screen white spots damage?

Greg Sieranski linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:43:18 -0400

dasDasein wrote:
> Mine are visible from particular angles of view (left and right angles
> of view), fortunately straight on view is not so bad.  They have been
> slowly getting worse (growing in number of pixels) over the past year or
> so.  They are also visible in the bios screen.  They now are a dozen to
> two dozen pixels in two groups.  I call them white pixels, but there are
> usually lighter in color than whatever the existing background color is,
> making them stand out as whitish.  However, I believe very dark
> backgrounds, near black seem to help.  Most applications have a light or
> off white background and they actually really stand out on light
> background for some reason.  When I first saw them I thought it was
> something on the screen that needed cleaning.  I will experiment more
> with it, when I get it back from IBM.
>
> What is rather annoying is that when I initially called IBM and
> explained the problem they sounded like they new what it was and could
> take care of it, but did not say anything about it not being covered by
> warranty.  Then they called me to tell me it would cost $750 to replace
> to replace the screen.  If I knew it was not covered by warranty, I
> would not have bothered to send it in the first place.  It has been gone
> for about a week now.
>
> On 9/24/07, *Maciej Musial* <maciejrobert@gmail.com
> <mailto:maciejrobert@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     I'm not sure what kind of white spots have you got but on my T40p I've
>     noticed a light spot in the corner - after about two mounts I've
>     forgot about it. Now I checked it - it disappeared.
>     Maybe your is the same kind of spot :)
>

>     2007/9/24, dasDasein <das@dase.in <mailto:das@dase.in>>:
>      > They quoted me $750 USD to replace screen... OUCH!  I won't be
>     putting any
>      > more money in my x40 and it should still has some life left in
>     it.  The
>      > white spots are not a horrible problem, but I was hoping it would
>     be covered
>      > under the existing warranty.  I started noticing the problem
>     after about the
>      > first year of use and it has slowly been getting worse.
>      >
>      > I noticed specials on X61's from Lenovo are starting at $1025 USD
>     now ;^)
>      > although they only come with 1 year warranty included.  My x40
>     came with 3
>      > years.
>      >
>      > I also hear rumors that Apple may come out with an ultralight
>     MacBook.  I
>      > will probably wait a while and see.
>      >
>      >
>      > On 9/24/07, Mike Shaw <mdshaw89@gmail.com
>     <mailto:mdshaw89@gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > > On 9/24/07, dasDasein < das@dase.in <mailto:das@dase.in>> wrote:
>      > >
>      > > > I called IBM service last week for my Thinkpad x40 which is
> [...]
I also have a small white spot on my screen. It is not noticeable
against dark backgrounds and if I place the mouse cursor over it it gets
covered up. I originally thought it was a dead pixel but a dead pixel
would not be hidden by the mouse cursor. It also is less noticeable
depending upon the angle. I have found that with dead pixels I am
usually able to rub them out but have not had any luck so far with the
spot. Has anyone been able to manually get rig of it or do I just have
to hope that one day it will go away?

Thanks,
GS