[ltp] Excessive power draw on T61

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:20:05 -0400

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:57:19AM -0400, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:50:33AM -0400, Mike Kershaw wrote:
> > I've been trying to figure out what is causing high power consumption on
> > a T61 with nvidia card:  Idle, in console or X, it draws approximately
> > 20W..  The lowest I've seen it go is 17W.  Things I've done:
> >=20
> > * Everything powertop suggests, including HPET, USB suspend, dynclocks,
> > etc.
>=20
> My T61 (Intel video) uses 17--18W in idle, but after doing everything
> powertop suggests *and* using xbacklight to set the LCD brightness down
> to 10% (which is not really comfortable) I got it down to nearly 10W.

Hm, nothing I do can get me that far.  Would you mind posting your
kernel config (or unicasting it to me)?=20

> Have you tried reducing the screen brightness?  (I don't know what
> NVreg_EnableBrightnessControl does)

I have.  Due to bugs in the nvidia driver, I have to switch VTs to
console, reduce, then return to X.  The hw brightness buttons don't work
while in X (though they update the nvram so thinkpad-acpi thinks it's
changed), and none of the other software controls work.  Neither does
bios-directed brightness control for battery/powered. =20

With the brightness down manually, it still seems to pull the same.
I'll do some more testing.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

"We're sorry, Susy won't be attending classes for the rest of this academic=
=20
year.  She caught the measles, and we had her shot."

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--