[ltp] fan error on boot for T40

Wed, 26 Sep 2007 7:10:34 -0700

---- Brad Langhorst <brad@langhorst.com> wrote:
> I got this message a while ago, and heard that the fan was not spinning
> anymore.
>
> So I bought a used fan/heatsink, worked fine for a week or two, but now
> i see the same fan error.
>
> So I bought 2 more used fan/heatsinks thinking it was just a dud fan.
>
> Now none of the fan spins and I have a useless laptop...
>
> Anybody know which part on the motherboard could be the trouble, it is
> possible to fix it?
>
> I wonder if this is from using linux on this machine for years with weak
> power management and too much fan action.

I doubt that very much, I have seen Dell and Compact laptops where
the fan starts up after about 30 seconds and then runs constantly
and that was true under several versions of wincrap.

> brad

I had that problem on a A30 and traced the circuit back as far as a SMD
transistor.
The transistor was ok but the circuitry is so dense I was not able to
trace it any farther so I jumpered the collector and emitter pins together
with a short piece of #30 wire and just let the fan run all of the time.
The A30 fan is not loud and runs most of the time anyway.
I am not !!! suggesting that you try this unless you have equipment
and experience working on SMD parts.
I did the soldering using a 20x magnifying lens, it's about like trying
to solder a harness on a house fly.
The only other choice would have been to swap out the motherboard.
... Bert