[ltp] Re: Z61p: 5.2h on windows and barely 3H on linux

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:42:56 -0400

> So, I have:
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz
> MemTotal: 2074120 kB
> fglrx-kernel: 8.38.6-1
> X.org: 7.2-0ubuntu11 (ubuntu feisty)
> 2.6.22.1-libata-tj-20070803-p4smp-preempt-1khz-marc4

> I also run powernowd which brings the CPUs down to 1GHz, LCD is set to
> minimum backlight, wireless is turned off.

> So, any idea why I can only get 2.8h out of a 9 cell extended battery while
> windows on the same hardware gets a bit over 5h?
> How long do you get on your comparable Z61 ?

Try powertop.  It may help you figure out the source of the consumption.
Of course, in my case I found the following:
- wifi consumption is much lower when the mode is loaded and it is in
  power-save mode.  I.e. it consumes less when enabled than when disabled.
  There's almost 1W difference.
- the fglrx driver has powersaving features which may not be automatically
  used (and/or may not automatically be preserved across console switches
  or suspend/hibernate).  So try to make sure they're used.
  Furthermore, I found that the VESA driver consumes significantly
  less power.

On my T60, I can get the powerconsumption (with Debian testing, but that
shouldn't make much difference in this respect) pretty much to the level
I got under WinXP (before I removed XP, that is) ;-)

        Stefan