[ltp] FIXED! Suspend/resume with T61p and nVidia Quadro FX 570M

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:29:35 -0400 (EDT)

After spending a couple of weeks testing thousands of different
options and configurations on my T61p to try to find out why it
wouldn't suspend/resume, I managed to come up with a working
configuration.

The side-effect of this is that now X no longer randomly crashes on me
in the middle of whatever I'm doing (a known issue with nvidia_drv.so)
and now suspend and resume works with the nVidia Quadro FX 570M card
in my T61p.

In order to stop X11 from crashing, I had to tell the nVidia driver to
disable 'glx' and 'dri' in Section "Module" of my xorg.conf. That
looks like this:

 	Section "Module"
 	    Load           "freetype"
 	    # snip other loaded modules

 	    Disable        "glx"
 	    Disable        "dri"
 	    Disable        "fb"
 	EndSection

Lower down under Section "Device", I have the following:

 	Section "Device"
 	    Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
 	    Driver         "nvidia"
 	#   Driver         "nv"
 	    Option         "NvAGP"       "4"

 	    Option         "MultiGPU" "AA"
 	    Option         "TripleBuffer" "true"

 	    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
 	EndSection

The amount of configurable options for nVidia cards is staggering (77
separate Option params with various number of values and effects on
the overall performance of the system). I tried nearly all of them
with positive and negative effects. Then I started narrowing down the
least amount of options that had a direct affect on my crashes and
suspend/resume issue. That is represented in the above snippets.

I can no longer use my fancy glx screensavers, but I don't care. I can
now suspend and resume, and X doesn't crash... (so far).

I'm using v169.12 of the x86_64 driver from nVidia directly, if anyone
is interested in testing/duplicating my results.

I'll post back if I have any updates on this.