[ltp] Re: X61s and fan speed < level 1

Michael Karcher linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:31:50 +0200

--=-xDmdbkhW3dQLXJZuCyc3

Am Dienstag, den 01.04.2008, 22:41 -0300 schrieb Henrique de Moraes
Holschuh:
> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008, Michael Karcher wrote:
> > > There is no VESA standard for a 1400x1050 video mode AFAIK.  No VESA =
mode
> > > implies that the BIOS is actually right at not offering it in the VES=
A mode
> > > list, if one is to be pedantic.
> >=20
> > I do not agree on this. VESA started having standard mode numbers
>=20
> There is no agree or not agree.  Either there is a set of standard
> frequencies and timings for 1400x1050 in a VESA document, or there is not=
.

You are perfectly right on the point that there is no VESA DMT for this
mode, but VESA stopped specifing discrete mode timings a long time ago.
But VESA also provided the GTF which has been replaced by the CVT
formula to calculate standard timings for *any* mode. Also, monitor
manufactures agreed on standard frequencies of 60, 75 and 85 Hz (at
least that are the frequencies of the modes in the predefined modes list
in all CRTs I have seen lately). So you just put in 1400x1050 and the
three standard frequencies into the CVT formula and voil=C3=A0, there is a
standard timing.

> And if there is not, you can't complain to the vendor of a BUG, but you
> could request an additional FEATURE.  Note the big difference.
The VBE 3.0 standard doesn't even mandate to have a 640x480 mode at any
color depth, but it recommends to do so for compatibility reasons. So on
strict reading of the standard, it wouldn't even be a BUG if the VBE
only supports a 648x482 mode. But most applications won't work with it,
it is just a missing FEATURE of providing useful modes, if you read the
standard word by word.

Missing the native panel mode from the video mode list is thus also not
a bug, but a missing feature. Both kinds of missing features decrease
usability that much that I would complain to the vendor, if I were in
need of having them.

In the list Peter Lemken posted, I also notice missing 1600x1200 modes,
although *there* *is* a set of standard timings for it and the hardware
is capable of providing them to external monitors. So I don't buy the
point that having standard timings for a mode and including the mode in
the list are equivalent.

Regards,
  Michael Karcher

--=-xDmdbkhW3dQLXJZuCyc3