[ltp] Thinkpad X61s iwlwifi 4965 LED

Jose Celestino linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:28:31 +0100

Words by John Jason Jordan [Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:26:12PM -0700]:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:16:36 +0200
> Peter Fr=FChberger <peter.fruehberger@gmail.com> dijo:
>=20
> > > I have the 4965agn on my T61 with Gutsy x86_64. I can't find any
> > > "config.mk" file.
> >=20
> > Download linux-headers-`uname -r` per sudo apt-get install=20
> > Download compat wireless from here:
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessd=
rivers
> >=20
> > untar it (tar xvjf) edit the config.mk file and enable add these option=
s:
> > CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS=3Dy
> > CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=3Dy
> > CONFIG_IWL4965_LEDS=3Dy
> >=20
> > run: make
> > run: sudo make unload
> > run: sudo make install
> > run: sudo make load
> >=20
> > everything should work.
>=20
> That works! I have had this T61 for about a year and a half, always
> Ubuntu x86_64, and I have never seen the wireless LED lit up. Finally!
> Thanks! Now I have a couple additional questions:
>=20
> 1) I plan to do apt-get dist-upgrade when Hardy is final. Hardy uses a
> later kernel than my Gutsy 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. Will what I just
> did mess up the upgrade?
>=20

Yes. You'll have to redo all of the above. If the hardy kernel doesn't
already include these.

> 2) The light is working now, but I note that Network Manager (System >
> Administration > Network) still doesn't see available wireless
> networks. I also have wifi-radar and it sees all available networks
> just fine. Do I assume correctly that this is a bug in the Network
> Manager GUI, unrelated to the driver? And did I just install the latest
> driver?
>=20

Never noticed a similar behaviour. But then I only have the thinkpad for
3 weeks. Does iwlist wlan0 scan show all the networks?

> 3) I have always had a problem with random disconnects using the
> 4965agn, especially when the signal is weak. I can't test this right
> now because I am at home where I do not have wireless (house is wired
> for ethernet). Does what I just did install better/later drivers?
>=20

Yes. Later, not necessarily better. But it usually goes that way (later =3D
better).

--=20
Jose Celestino
http://www.msversus.org/     ; http://techp.org/petition/show/1
http://www.vinc17.org/noswpat.en.html
"If you would have your slaves remain docile, teach them hymns."
    -- Ed Weathers ("The Empty Box")