[ltp] Thinkpad X61s iwlwifi 4965 LED

Pablo Vera linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:42:22 -0500

--------------040708070103070403010207

Nice !!!, it worked perfect (T61 + Ubuntu_64).

Thanks,
Pablo

Jose Celestino wrote:
> Words by John Jason Jordan [Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:26:12PM -0700]:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:16:36 +0200
>> Peter Frühberger <peter.fruehberger@gmail.com> dijo:

>>> Download linux-headers-`uname -r` per sudo apt-get install
>>> Download compat wireless from here:
>>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessdrivers
>>>
>>> untar it (tar xvjf) edit the config.mk file and enable add these options:
>>> CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS=y
>>> CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y
>>> CONFIG_IWL4965_LEDS=y
>>>
>>> run: make
>>> run: sudo make unload
>>> run: sudo make install
>>> run: sudo make load
>>>
>>> everything should work.
>>>
>> That works! I have had this T61 for about a year and a half, always
>> Ubuntu x86_64, and I have never seen the wireless LED lit up. Finally!
>> Thanks! Now I have a couple additional questions:
>>
>> 1) I plan to do apt-get dist-upgrade when Hardy is final. Hardy uses a
>> later kernel than my Gutsy 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. Will what I just
>> did mess up the upgrade?
>>

> Yes. You'll have to redo all of the above. If the hardy kernel doesn't
> already include these.
>

>> 2) The light is working now, but I note that Network Manager (System >
>> Administration > Network) still doesn't see available wireless
>> networks. I also have wifi-radar and it sees all available networks
>> just fine. Do I assume correctly that this is a bug in the Network
>> Manager GUI, unrelated to the driver? And did I just install the latest
>> driver?
>>

> Never noticed a similar behaviour. But then I only have the thinkpad for
> 3 weeks. Does iwlist wlan0 scan show all the networks?
>

>> 3) I have always had a problem with random disconnects using the
>> 4965agn, especially when the signal is weak. I can't test this right
>> now because I am at home where I do not have wireless (house is wired
>> for ethernet). Does what I just did install better/later drivers?
>>

> Yes. Later, not necessarily better. But it usually goes that way (later =
> better).

--------------040708070103070403010207

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Nice !!!, it worked perfect (T61 + Ubuntu_64).<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">Thanks,
Pablo
</pre>
Jose Celestino wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Words by John Jason Jordan [Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:26:12PM -0700]:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 20:16:36 +0200
Peter Fr&uuml;hberger <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:peter.fruehberger@gmail.com">&lt;peter.fruehberger@gmail.com&gt;</a> dijo:

    </pre>
        <pre wrap="">I have the 4965agn on my T61 with Gutsy x86_64. I can't find any
"config.mk" file.
        </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Download linux-headers-`uname -r` per sudo apt-get install
Download compat wireless from here:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessdrivers">http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessdrivers</a>

untar it (tar xvjf) edit the config.mk file and enable add these options:
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_LEDS=y
CONFIG_IWL3945_LEDS=y
CONFIG_IWL4965_LEDS=y

run: make
run: sudo make unload
run: sudo make install
run: sudo make load

everything should work.
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">That works! I have had this T61 for about a year and a half, always
Ubuntu x86_64, and I have never seen the wireless LED lit up. Finally!
Thanks! Now I have a couple additional questions:

1) I plan to do apt-get dist-upgrade when Hardy is final. Hardy uses a
later kernel than my Gutsy 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. Will what I just
did mess up the upgrade?

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Yes. You'll have to redo all of the above. If the hardy kernel doesn't
already include these.

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">2) The light is working now, but I note that Network Manager (System &gt;
Administration &gt; Network) still doesn't see available wireless
networks. I also have wifi-radar and it sees all available networks
just fine. Do I assume correctly that this is a bug in the Network
Manager GUI, unrelated to the driver? And did I just install the latest
driver?

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Never noticed a similar behaviour. But then I only have the thinkpad for
3 weeks. Does iwlist wlan0 scan show all the networks?

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">3) I have always had a problem with random disconnects using the