[ltp] restoring the first partitiong (c: - /dev/sda2) using ibm system restore

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:47:04 +0300

I wiped my windows partition (vista) that came with the laptop (t61)
some time ago to install a second installation of linux to test something.

the partition under linux is /dev/sda2 (40gb) . My main installation is
under /dev/sda3 (100gb) with the swap under /dev/sda5 (3gb).

I just tried to restore the c: partition to windows since I need it for a while
to do some development with visual studio (yes, I know, scarilage, but I need
the money). vmware won't do the trick here plus I don't have an extra windows
license and/or vmware license.

I went to restore system to factory settings under the ibm rescue and restore
or however it's called and a few screens later I chose to restore only the c:
drive. It said that it is preparing the disk (wiped grub while it was at it)
and some time later told me that it couldn't restore the system (no reason
why). The same thing worked some time ago when I wanted to reintall windows
before I removed it, so I'm guessing that it either looks for a proper
partition, partition label, partition type, ntfs file system or windows. Anyone
knows how I can make it restore just the windows partition without killing my
linux installation by formatting the whole drive (which if I recall correctly
didn't work at the time either)

I tried booting using a winxp cd to try and format the drive to ntfs since I
couldn't find how to do it from linux (if it is even possible) but it didn't
recognize the sata disk. putting the disk in compatibility mode, it only saw a
single 130gb empty partition.

thanks