[ltp] various hangs with libata on a X31...

Frédéric BOITEUX linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:17:49 +0200

	Hello,

  For quite a long time, I tried to setup my X31 to use libata instead
of ata_piix to be able to hotplug its base (Ultrabase X3) and its DVD
drive. As I have a Debian Etch system with latest 2.6.24 kernel, I have
to recompile it to revert a Debian kernel patch
(drivers-ata-ata_piix-postpone-pata.patch.bz2) which disable libata's
ICH4-M IDE controller of my thinkpad (old one with PATA drive, no SATA).

  I experience a lot of hangs with this configuration : suspend to RAM
doesn't resume anymore, sometimes the system hangs without any
special event (just working on it), and even when hotplug/unplug
Ultrabase, the thinkpad often hangs just after it has done its
hotplug's scripts...

  Does somebody with a similar thinkpad is successfuly using libata ?
Ultrabase hotplug ? or should I look at lt_hotswap ?

	Thanks for any hint,
		Fred.