[ltp] Thinkpad X61s iwlwifi 4965 LED

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 11:52:42 -0700

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 03:45:21 +0100
Jose Celestino <japc@co.sapo.pt> dijo:

> Words by John Jason Jordan [Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:35:44PM -0700]:
> > At this point I think I'd like to undo what I did shen I installed the latest drivers. At least with the old setup I could connect. The light is nice, but useless if the wireless doesn't work at all.
>
> Yes, sure :)
>
> From README (guess you didn't. readit i mean):
>
> "Uninstall:
>
> This nukes our changes to updates/ so you can go back to using your
> distribution's supported drivers.
>
>   sudo make uninstall
> "

Thanks.

I haven't done it yet. I keep hoping that I can fix whatever is wrong,
because I suspect that what is wrong is not the driver. Some facts:

1) I have a Netgear WG511T that I used to use (with the 4965 turned off
in the BIOS). It "just worked" so I was using it until Hardy came out,
which would (theoretically I thought) give me a fix for the 4965. After
doing the changes the other day that got the light working, the WG511T
doesn't work either.

2) I can see the networks, and I can connect to them, but I cannot get
an IP address. That is the stumbling block. And it is the same if I use
the WG511T or the 4965.

3) I have set the 4965 to roaming mode in Network Manager, but it
doesn't help. If I turn off roaming mode and go into Properties I
should be able to see all the networks with the drop-down button. Once
out of about 40-50 tries the drop-down button does display the
available networks, but usually not. Meanwhile, wifi-radar always sees
all the available networks, but cannot get an IP address.

4) when I do iwlist wlan0 scan I get a list of networks about half the
time. The rest of the time I get "no networks." If I do sudo killall
NetworkManager and then sudo NetworkManager this seems to restore the
scanning ability.

I'm too stupid to know of any other tricks. Does anyone have any
suggestions?