[ltp] restoring the first partitiong (c: - /dev/sda2) using ibm system restore

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:45:12 -0500

Quoting nescivi <nescivi@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 09 April 2008 05:47:04 Micha wrote:
> > I went to restore system to factory settings under the ibm rescue and
> > restore or however it's called and a few screens later I chose to restore
> > only the c: drive. It said that it is preparing the disk (wiped grub while
> > it was at it) and some time later told me that it couldn't restore the
> > system (no reason why). The same thing worked some time ago when I wanted
> > to reintall windows before I removed it, so I'm guessing that it either
> > looks for a proper partition, partition label, partition type, ntfs file
> > system or windows. Anyone knows how I can make it restore just the windows
> > partition without killing my linux installation by formatting the whole
> > drive (which if I recall correctly didn't work at the time either)
>
> You can use a partition editor to make the partition in question a FAT32 or
> NTFS one, without touching the other partitions.
> There are some live cd's that have the program to do it.
> I have used this one for similar reasons (resizing NTFS, and partitioning of
> the remainder before installing Linux).
>
> http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
>
> then, you should be able to get a set of windows cd's from IBM/Lenovo to
> restore your Windows installation (they have to do this, esp. if for example
> you need to reinstall your harddrive because you replaced it or
> something...).
> I'm not sure whether the rescue partition will do the trick.

Be very careful and check with other's experience.  In the past, (i.e. T4x
days), the rescre partition reinstalled Windows in the first partition.  The
rescue CDs overwrote the entire hard drive.  I have re-installed Windows XP on
at T41 several times without wiping out Linux installation.  It has been
several years, but I don't recall having to re-install GRUB.  However, there
has always been a reasonably complete and correct filesystem on the Windows
partition (i.e., re-installing Windows over Windows, not over Linux).

HTH,
  Jeffrey