[ltp] Thinkpad X61s iwlwifi 4965 LED

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:03:13 -0700

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:52:45 +0300
Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> dijo:

> > > Words by John Jason Jordan [Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:35:44PM -0700]:

> > > "Uninstall:
> > > This nukes our changes to updates/ so you can go back to using your
> > > distribution's supported drivers.
> > >
> > >   sudo make uninstall

> > I haven't done it yet. I keep hoping that I can fix whatever is wrong,
> > because I suspect that what is wrong is not the driver. Some facts:
> >
> > 1) I have a Netgear WG511T that I used to use (with the 4965 turned off
> > in the BIOS). It "just worked" so I was using it until Hardy came out,
> > which would (theoretically I thought) give me a fix for the 4965. After
> > doing the changes the other day that got the light working, the WG511T
> > doesn't work either.
> >
> > 2) I can see the networks, and I can connect to them, but I cannot get
> > an IP address. That is the stumbling block. And it is the same if I use
> > the WG511T or the 4965.
> >
> > 3) I have set the 4965 to roaming mode in Network Manager, but it
> > doesn't help. If I turn off roaming mode and go into Properties I
> > should be able to see all the networks with the drop-down button. Once
> > out of about 40-50 tries the drop-down button does display the
> > available networks, but usually not. Meanwhile, wifi-radar always sees
> > all the available networks, but cannot get an IP address.
> >
> > 4) when I do iwlist wlan0 scan I get a list of networks about half the
> > time. The rest of the time I get "no networks." If I do sudo killall
> > NetworkManager and then sudo NetworkManager this seems to restore the
> > scanning ability.
> >
> > I'm too stupid to know of any other tricks. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions?

> What version of libglib2.0 are you using?

Searching in Synaptic on "libglib" I see that I have installed:

libglib1.2 version 1.2.10-17build1
libglib2.0-0 version 2.14.1-1ubuntu1
libglib2.0-cil version 2.10.2-1ubuntu2
libglib2.0-dev version 2.14.1-1ubuntu1
libglib2-ruby1.8 version 0.16.0-3ubuntu1

I cannot test anything until tomorrow, as I am at home where I am wired
and no wireless. Tomorrow afternoon I will be at the university where I
can test the wireless. In the meantime, by googling and searching the
Ubuntu forums I decided to install wibc. Installing wibc required
uninstalling Network Manager and wifi-radar. Several on the Ubuntu
forums claim that wibc solved their problems. We'll see tomorrow.