[ltp] Thinkpad X61s iwlwifi 4965 LED

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:43:09 -0700

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:52:45 +0300
Micha <michf@post.tau.ac.il> dijo:

> > > "Uninstall:
> > >
> > > This nukes our changes to updates/ so you can go back to using your
> > > distribution's supported drivers.
> > >
> > >   sudo make uninstall

> > I haven't done it yet. I keep hoping that I can fix whatever is wrong,
> > because I suspect that what is wrong is not the driver. Some facts:
> >
> > 1) I have a Netgear WG511T that I used to use (with the 4965 turned off
> > in the BIOS). It "just worked" so I was using it until Hardy came out,
> > which would (theoretically I thought) give me a fix for the 4965. After
> > doing the changes the other day that got the light working, the WG511T
> > doesn't work either.
> >
> > 2) I can see the networks, and I can connect to them, but I cannot get
> > an IP address. That is the stumbling block. And it is the same if I use
> > the WG511T or the 4965.
> >
> > 3) I have set the 4965 to roaming mode in Network Manager, but it
> > doesn't help. If I turn off roaming mode and go into Properties I
> > should be able to see all the networks with the drop-down button. Once
> > out of about 40-50 tries the drop-down button does display the
> > available networks, but usually not. Meanwhile, wifi-radar always sees
> > all the available networks, but cannot get an IP address.
> >
> > 4) when I do iwlist wlan0 scan I get a list of networks about half the
> > time. The rest of the time I get "no networks." If I do sudo killall
> > NetworkManager and then sudo NetworkManager this seems to restore the
> > scanning ability.

> What version of libglib2.0 are you using?

I forget now which version, but from subsequent comments it is the
right one.

I have spent many hours trying to fix this. To repeat the symptoms:

1) I can connect to an AP, but cannot get an IP address.
2) When I use a Netgear WG511T card there are two lights which
alternate until it connects and gets an IP address; then they both
flash simultaneously. After installing the new drivers this card now
just displays one light. If I restart networking or remove/replace the
ath5k module, the light jiggles, but it never goes to two lights.

I replaced Network Manager with wicd, but it did not help. Wicd
displays all the available networks, but still cannot get an IP address.

I searched in Synaptic on "dhcp" and reinstalled everything. Made no
difference. Then I reinstalled Network Manager (which uninstalls wicd),
but still no joy.

Because of these symptoms I am concluding that the new drivers are not
compatible with something serious, deep inside the kernel. After all,
the new drivers not only fail to work with the built in 4965agn, but
they render the Netgear WG511T card useless also.

So after hours and hours trying to fix things I did "sudo make
uninstall." After rebooting things are back to the way they were. The
4965agn still gives me random disconnects and the Netgear works fine. I
don't have the LED light with either. But at least I can connect.

I'm just going to wait until Hardy goes final. Then I'll apt-get
dist-upgrade my Gutsy x86_64 to Hardy and we'll see if things work
better.

Thanks for all the suggestions.