[ltp] T61 temperature limits

Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:37:44 +0100

Owen Heisler wrote:
> I've implemented _passive_ cooling (as little fan usage as possible) using a
> script and would like to discuss the limits that I am using for the temperature
> sensors.  I am using three limits which I call "warm", "hot", and "veryhot".
> First, the processor frequency is limited, second the processors are throttled
> too, and last the system is suspended (at least, that's how I have it now).
> Any temperature less than warm is considered 'cool enough' for full
> performance.

May I suggest you add 2 modes, namely "on-lap" and "on-desk" mode.

In "laptop" mode, anything higher than about 65 degrees is dangerous to
the knees of the person on which it rests!  (45 degrees is about max
comfortable for the bottom of the case - nb you can get a low intensity
burn over a long period of time).

In desktop mode, the limit is the CPU. I don't know what the values are,
but I'd expect 100 degrees to be perfectly safe for the chip. Someone
with more knowledge will need to comment here.

Also, bear in mind that running the machine *very* hot will impact HDD
lifetime, and may cause transient memory errors.

Richard

P.S. You might also consider using nice to make CPU-hogging processes
not use so much power