[ltp] problems with T60 buttons

Jimmy Wu linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:36:25 -0400

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Kenneth Mitchell
<kdeanmitchell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't get my special keys on my thinkpad T60 to work.  My laptop works but
> now I'm getting comfortable enough with linux I want all the extra gizmos on
> my keyboard to work as well.
>
> I'm using kubuntu 7.10
>
> I'm a linux newbie.  I've read a lot of forums and it seems that there
> should be an IBM button under the kde system setting / advanced.  It is not
> there.  How do I install this module so I can change the usage of those
> special keys.  Specifically the ones that don't work right now that are
> concerning are the monitor brightness keys (volume mute works but the
> increase or decrease volume don't override the mute on the volume applet in
> the lower right - once I turn off mute then they will work as well).
>
> A couple other forums mentioned the thinkpad acpi module installed in my
> kernel. How do I tell if that module is part of my kernel and if it isnot
> part of my kernel how do I add it.  Maybe I'm just running a generic acpi
> right now?
>
> What kind of data do you guys need to futher trouble shoot?
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help.
>
> Dean Mitchell

Well, I am a noob myself, and I have a T61 instead of a T60, but I'll
offer what help I can since it seems no one has responded yet.

To check if the thinkpad acpi module is running, use the lsmod command
in a terminal, and in the long list it spits out, you should see a
line beginning with thinkpad_acpi.  To save yourself the trouble of
hunting for the line yourself, type
lsmod | grep thinkpad

However, my guess is that (K)Ubuntu 7.10 should have this module
loaded by default

Best,
--
Jimmy