[ltp] RAM used in A30

Fri, 18 Apr 2008 5:09:58 -0700

---- Axel Braun <axel.braun@gmx.de> wrote:
> Gents,
>
> can I install any SO-DIMM module in the ThinkPad A30?
>
> I've bought some 512MB in the configuration "dual in line 64X8".
High density
The RAm
> shows up as defective, and the vendor claims that the TP can only deal with
> 32X8.
Low density
Can we proof this somehow?

> Thx
> Ax

I have owned 2 A30s and well over a dozen A31s.
I use some of these in dedicated applications and some friends, who have been
badly burned on those newer "bargain" one-year-lifetime wonders, keep talking
me out of the backup units that I try to keep in stock.
IMHO the A31 is the best "desktop replacement" laptop ever manufactured.

A30 ram must be PC133 LOW!! density.
This ram is very expensive, unless you happen to get very lucky.
Contrast this to the A31.
I have purchased 1 gig DDR PC266 for the A31 for as little as $30 on special
sales at local office supply stores.
I have one app that has been running 24/7 for over a year now so I quess that
the $30 ram just might be OK.
I have never had any need to go above 1g but I do think that the A31 would do it.
You may find that it is cheaper and better to just move up to a A31.