[ltp] problems with T60 buttons

Kenneth Mitchell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:42:52 -0500

------=_Part_5593_14770497.1208576572694

OK - I do have thinkpad acpi running - how do I access its functions.  many
of the forums mention just using the ibm thinkpad button config tool in
kubuntu's system settings but my systems settings doesn't have this function
- how do I add it or access it?

Thanks

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Jimmy Wu <
jimmywu013+linux-thinkpad@gmail.com <jimmywu013%2Blinux-thinkpad@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Kenneth Mitchell
> <kdeanmitchell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can't get my special keys on my thinkpad T60 to work.  My laptop works
> but
> > now I'm getting comfortable enough with linux I want all the extra
> gizmos on
> > my keyboard to work as well.
> >
> > I'm using kubuntu 7.10
> >
> > I'm a linux newbie.  I've read a lot of forums and it seems that there
> > should be an IBM button under the kde system setting / advanced.  It is
> not
> > there.  How do I install this module so I can change the usage of those
> > special keys.  Specifically the ones that don't work right now that are
> > concerning are the monitor brightness keys (volume mute works but the
> > increase or decrease volume don't override the mute on the volume applet
> in
> > the lower right - once I turn off mute then they will work as well).
> >
> > A couple other forums mentioned the thinkpad acpi module installed in my
> > kernel. How do I tell if that module is part of my kernel and if it
> isnot
> > part of my kernel how do I add it.  Maybe I'm just running a generic
> acpi
> > right now?
> >
> > What kind of data do you guys need to futher trouble shoot?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for all your help.
> >
> > Dean Mitchell
> >

> Well, I am a noob myself, and I have a T61 instead of a T60, but I'll
> offer what help I can since it seems no one has responded yet.
>
> To check if the thinkpad acpi module is running, use the lsmod command
> in a terminal, and in the long list it spits out, you should see a
> line beginning with thinkpad_acpi.  To save yourself the trouble of
> hunting for the line yourself, type
> lsmod | grep thinkpad
>
> However, my guess is that (K)Ubuntu 7.10 should have this module
> loaded by default
>
> Best,
> --
> Jimmy
> Registered Linux User #454138
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments
> --

------=_Part_5593_14770497.1208576572694

OK - I do have thinkpad acpi running - how do I access its functions.&nbsp; many of the forums mention just using the ibm thinkpad button config tool in kubuntu&#39;s system settings but my systems settings doesn&#39;t have this function - how do I add it or access it?&nbsp; <br>
&lt;<a href="mailto:kdeanmitchell@gmail.com">kdeanmitchell@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I can&#39;t get my special keys on my thinkpad T60 to work. &nbsp;My laptop works but<br>
&gt; now I&#39;m getting comfortable enough with linux I want all the extra gizmos on<br>
&gt; my keyboard to work as well.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m using kubuntu 7.10<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m a linux newbie. &nbsp;I&#39;ve read a lot of forums and it seems that there<br>
&gt; should be an IBM button under the kde system setting / advanced. &nbsp;It is not<br>
&gt; there. &nbsp;How do I install this module so I can change the usage of those<br>
&gt; special keys. &nbsp;Specifically the ones that don&#39;t work right now that are<br>
&gt; concerning are the monitor brightness keys (volume mute works but the<br>
&gt; increase or decrease volume don&#39;t override the mute on the volume applet in<br>
&gt; the lower right - once I turn off mute then they will work as well).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; A couple other forums mentioned the thinkpad acpi module installed in my<br>
&gt; kernel. How do I tell if that module is part of my kernel and if it isnot<br>
&gt; part of my kernel how do I add it. &nbsp;Maybe I&#39;m just running a generic acpi<br>
&gt; right now?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What kind of data do you guys need to futher trouble shoot?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks in advance for all your help.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Dean Mitchell<br>
&gt;<br>
offer what help I can since it seems no one has responded yet.<br>
To check if the thinkpad acpi module is running, use the lsmod command<br>
in a terminal, and in the long list it spits out, you should see a<br>
line beginning with thinkpad_acpi. &nbsp;To save yourself the trouble of<br>
hunting for the line yourself, type<br>
lsmod | grep thinkpad<br>
However, my guess is that (K)Ubuntu 7.10 should have this module<br>
loaded by default<br>
Best,<br>
--<br>
Jimmy<br>
Registered Linux User #454138<br>
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>

------=_Part_5593_14770497.1208576572694--