[ltp] best T4-model for dual head internal + DVI-out?

Bernhard Marx linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:05:26 +0200

Hello,

I'm looking to by a used model of the T4-Series. I want to run it at
home in a dual-head configuration which uses the DVI-throughput function
of the docking station.

It has to have a 14" SXGA+ 1400x1050 pixel internal screen. I want to
use an external screen of preferrably 1600x1200. Else 1280x1024px. I
will probably upgrade the memory to 2GB. I will run Debian GNU/Linux. I
will use it mostly for webdevelopement, surfing an office
tasks. Occasionaly for DVD-watching and web-tv with miro.

Which of the following models is best for my purpose (dual-head with
internal display and external DVI)?

T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42 and T42p.

Ideally it would run with open source drivers that are easy to setup and
maintain. 2D is way more important to me than 3D acceleration.

Do certain models run considerably longer on battery?
Are certain models considerably lighter or smaller than others.
What else should I take into account?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

         Berny

--