[ltp] best T4-model for dual head internal + DVI-out?

Bernhard Marx linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 01:14:14 +0200

Hi Bill,

thanks for all your input. I'd have some further questions.

Bill Andrus <languru@us.ibm.com> writes:

> linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org wrote on 04/19/2008 11:05:26 AM:

> Having some experience with all these models, having rebuilt and sold
> hundreds over the past few years, my keeper is a T42p without the exotic
> ATI graphics chip, upgraded to a 2.1GHz processor and 2GB RAM.  Very

[...]

> hours conservative use before hibernating.  Look for the 14.1" rather than
> 15" screen version, the SXGA+ display with 64MB rather than 128MB, and go

Which is the good video chip? And which is the one to avoid? I can
not find a T42p with 64MB graphics.

The available T42p models (and some T41p) I could find all have the
following graphics:
	ATI FireGL T2 (128MB dedicated)

I could also buy models of T42  or T41 with
	Ati Radeon 9600 (64MB dedicated)
        ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (32MB dedicated)

Can I exchange the video card in an T42p for an Ati Radeon 9600?

thinkwiki.org has the following to say about the graphic cards:

* ATI Mobility FireGL T2 Chipset:
  ATI RV350 (M10) - Similar to Radeon 9600
  External VGA up to: 2048x1536x16.7M at 75Hz
  found in: T42p T41p

* ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
  Chipset: ATI RV350 (M10)
  External VGA up to: 1920x1200
  found in: T42 T42p

So the two above do not seem to be that different.

* ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
  Chipset: ATI RV200 (variant of the R100 core)
  External VGA up to: 2048x1536x16.7M at 75Hz
  found in: #  T40, T41, T42

>From what you say I think that the T42p seems to be my best
choice. Unfortunately it also costs a lot more than the other models. I
can buy a T42 or T41p from about 400,- to 600,- EUR while the T42p will
cost me between 630,- and 850,- EUR.

So my question is whether it is worth spending the extra money on the
T42p. Is the gap to the other models rather small or rather large? Which
is the second best? The T42 or the T41p?

> since all batteries are supposed to be carry on and in device now.  A 9
> Cell and Ultrabay cell should get you 10 hours easy, with the DVD drive
> external going through screening.

Wow, that is really impressive. Good to know. It really seems like my
Thinkpad to come can really server as my main machine with a good
dual-head setup at home *and* as a good take everywhere notebook. :-)

> Altec Lansing (my EDR A2DP headset).  Look for a model that already has the
> In Screen Bluetooth antenna in it.

I guess if the laptop is already equipped with bluetooth it will also
have the screen antennas, right? If I buy a model without bluetooth, how
can I tell whether the antennas are there?

Cheers,
        Berny

--
bernhard.marx@gmx.net