[ltp] T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:03:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Ben Pearre wrote:

> I'm torn.  I need a new laptop.  Thinkpads have served me well, but is
> it time to move on?  To what?

Ben,

I needed a new laptop in fall '06. I went with a T60 and do not regret it
for a minute. I run Fedora on my systems because that's what I know. It
works perfectly for all my needs and build quality is high.

The bay battery died quickly, and after 1.5 years the main battery has
lost 30% of its life. I replaced the 100GB drive with a 320GB.

The machine is a tank and I've had no failures at all (knock wood).

Parts are still widely available and reasonably priced. The hardware
maintenance manuals are really good. There's a great support community.

There are still many reasons to buy a ThinkPad, if not another Lenovo
brand.

My two cents,
Chris