[ltp] OT: Lenovo Return Policy Advice

Hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:11:01 +0100

On Friday 18 April 2008 01:00:07 Ben Pearre wrote:
> On 2008-02-18 21:19, James Knott wrote:
> > Generally speaking, a vendor is under no responsibility to take back
> > something you don't want anymore.  If it is defective, get it repaired
> > under warranty, as that's the limit of their responsibility.  If you
> > bought a new car, would you expect the dealer or manufacturer to take it
> > back, simply because something needed to be repaired?
>
> If it is broken from the beginning, then yes, I would.  Whether I
> could convince them to do it is another question, but there's no doubt
> that if they sell me something, it should behave as promised.
>
> The alternative, I guess, is that the product should be sold with a
> big warning that says "In order to bring you the lowest prices, we
> offload QA costs onto you."

In the UK the retailer/vendor is obliged to take the product back for a full
refund within 28days. In addition, in the first 6 months if anything goes
wrong, it is assumed (In law) that the product was faulty from day 1.

Your rights are even stronger if you bought online... Buy online using a
credit card, and not only can you say I don't want it any more come & get it,
the retailer must arrange for pickup, and refund your money with 30 days
(That's 30 days from notification. Even if the product isn't actually picked
up. Your only obligation is to make it available for pickup).

regards
  Hamish.