[ltp] Re: T61, Lenovo quality, Linux pre-installed, alternatives

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:48:40 +0100

--------------070505040003010203020902

The subject of this thread is not about what it turned to be, but anyway...

I must say I read somewhere once (don't remember where) about the
problem with the fingerprint device getting to hot, but it was fixed on
on of the updates.
Now, I have noticed that some (very occasional) times the fingerprint
gets very hot, like if it was not turned of after login or something.
So I was wondering if there is for a certain process one could check
(with ps) and kill or any command one could issue to turn the device off.

Cheers!

________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________

jqian@physics.harvard.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 08:21:45PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Hendrik-Jan Heins wrote:
>>
>>> As for the temperature: how hot is that? And what are the temperature
>>> readings from your machine. If it really gets hot, it means your cpu
>>> is crunching numbers all the time, run "top" to see which processes
>>> make it run all the time.
>>>
>> Or does it mean that the reverse-engineered fingerprint driver (or its
>> PAM glue) is leaving the darned thing on all the time, which is bound to
>> not only waste power and cause thermal disconfort, but maybe even damage
>> the fingerprint hardware eventually?
>>
>> Time for someone to go after that bug, or to donate me a T61 with Intel
>> graphics (which would mean instant major increase in the support level
>> for that model in thinkpad-acpi and everything else that is clearly
>> causing that much trouble) ;-)
>>
> Just as a confirmation. On my T43, with the proprietary finger print
> driver, the reader is not on all the time and the finger print spot is
> not hot compared to other points. On my T43, the finger print reader is
> right above hard drive, so if it gets hot, not only it wastes power but
> it also harms the hard drive!
> Jiang
>
>> --
>>   "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>>   them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>>   where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>>   Henrique Holschuh
>> --

--------------070505040003010203020902

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
The subject of this thread is not about what it turned to be, but
anyway...<br>
I must say I read somewhere once (don't remember where) about the
problem with the fingerprint device getting to hot, but it was fixed on
on of the updates.<br>
Now, I have noticed that some (very occasional) times the fingerprint
gets very hot, like if it was not turned of after login or something.<br>
So I was wondering if there is for a certain process one could check
(with ps) and kill or any command one could issue to turn the device
off.<br>
Cheers!<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________
</pre>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:jqian@physics.harvard.edu">jqian@physics.harvard.edu</a> wrote:
 type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">As for the temperature: how hot is that? And what are the temperature
readings from your machine. If it really gets hot, it means your cpu
is crunching numbers all the time, run "top" to see which processes
make it run all the time.
      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Or does it mean that the reverse-engineered fingerprint driver (or its

  <pre wrap=""><!---->Just as a confirmation. On my T43, with the proprietary finger print