[ltp] Shut-down/Halt/Reboot Problem on a ThinkPad T61

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:07:11 +0100

--------------050803080308030506040004

Hello,

I am experiencing a weird problem on my T61 almost every time y want to
shutdown or reboot my computer. I will try to explain in detail the
shut-down process.

I have Ubuntu 7.10 kernel 2.6.22-14-generic. On a fresh installation of
Ubuntu the problem will not occur, so some where along the way I did
something...

I will select the normal Shut Down option and the shut-down process will
start as it should. I have the quiet option off in the grub menu.lst so
I see what's going on during boot up and shut down. The last two lines
there will say:

Unmount local filesystems

Will now halt

Then it will be there like for 10 seconds and then it goes to a black
screen, with a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen and nothing
else will happen after.

 From there I can do ctrl+alt+F1 and go to tty1 and it shows the login
screen but I can't type anything. The other terminals (tty2, tty3, tty4,
tty5 and tty6) are not accessible. But I can also go back to tty7
(ctrl+alt+F7) and see the last output from the shut-down process which
is as follows:

* Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron

* Stopping GNOME Display Manager...

* Stopping Avahi nDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon

* Stopping DHCP D-Bus daemon dhcdbd

* Stopping ConsoleKit daemon console-kit-daemon

* Stopping disk temperature monitoring daemon hddtemp

Stopping Network Traffic Monitorin Programs: tleds

* Stopping ThinkPad fan control daemon tpfand

Stopping wicd daemon...

* Saving the system clock

* Shutting down ALSA...

* Unmounting any overflow tmpfs from /tmp...

802.1x supplicant: disabled, see /etc/default/xsupplicant

* Terminating all remaining processes...

* Sending all processes the KILL signal...

* Unmounting temporary filesystems...

* Deactivating swap...

* Unmounting local filesystems...

* Will now halt

And that's it, from there nothing else can be done other than switching
between tty1 and tty7. I will have to hold down the power button to shut
down the computer or I can also do ctrl+alt+del which will display
System Rebooting and just hang or something the reboot works.

I have checked the system logs but I don't think I found anything
relevant. Or maybe I need to look at a different place.

Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated.

--
________________________

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6
________________________

--------------050803080308030506040004

<head>
</head>
<title></title>
	<!--
		@page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm }
		P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }
	--></style>Hello,
T61 almost every time y want to shutdown or reboot my computer. I
will try to explain in detail the shut-down process.</p>
2.6.22-14-generic. On a fresh installation of Ubuntu the problem will
not occur, so some where along the way I did something...</p>
option and the shut-down process will start as it should. I have the
quiet option off in the grub menu.lst so I see what's going on during
boot up and shut down. The last two lines there will say:</p>
seconds and then it goes to a black screen, with a blinking cursor in
the top left of the screen and nothing else will happen after.</p>
to tty1 and it shows the login screen but I can't type anything. The
other terminals (tty2, tty3, tty4, tty5 and tty6) are not accessible.
But I can also go back to tty7 (ctrl+alt+F7) and see the last output
from the shut-down process which is as follows:</p>
avahi-daemon</p>
console-kit-daemon</p>
daemon hddtemp</p>
Programs: tleds</p>
tpfand</p>
/tmp...</p>
/etc/default/xsupplicant</p>
processes...</p>
signal...</p>
can be done other than switching between tty1 and tty7. I will have
to hold down the power button to shut down the computer or I can also
do ctrl+alt+del which will display System Rebooting and just hang or
something the reboot works.</p>
don't think I found anything relevant. Or maybe I need to look at a
different place.</p>
appreciated.</p>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--