[ltp] Other uses for the fingerprint reader?

Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:42:11 +0100

> Alex Polite wrote:
>> I haven't bothered to activate the fingerprint reader on my X60
>> tablet, partly because I'm not that security minded and if I where I
>> sure as hell wouldn't trust a fingerprint reader to keep prying eyes
>> away from my data.
>>
>> But just now I realized that it might be put to other uses in tablet
>> mode. It would be cool if one could bind different fingers to
>> different functions in different programs. In acroread, the index
>> finger could be scroll up and down, the middle finger could be zoom in
>> and out, the ring finger could be pan and the pinky... Well you get
>> the idea.
>>
>> Anyone experimenting with anything like that? Any ideas on how to go
>> about to accomplish it?

No idea how this might be done. But, a few possible thoughts for
alternative uses:
  - heart rate monitor?
  - lie detector?  is it possible to measure skin resistivity given that
it's a capacitative sensor?
  - some sort of theremin?
  - drum pad?
  - scratch pad? (like DJs use for manually controlling the speed of an
LP record)

Richard