[ltp] Memory problems on my AP21

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:48:58 +0000

Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

>After one of the two 128MB memory cards of my AP21 broke down, I found a new
>Kingston 256MB module (KTM-TP390X/256) which according to Kingston is the
>memory module for my machine.
>
>What I found out is that this module does not want to sit in the memory
>compartment with its smaller Toshiba module. Depending on which I put right
>or left it shows 64MB memory, 256MB or 128MB. Running the latest memory test
>from Linux which shows the right amount of memory,  I end up with thousands
>of errors within 5 minutes if both cards are found together.  Reason why I
>have stopped that exercise.
>If I run Memtest86 on each single card for an extensive period no errors are
>showing up. Is it a known fact that mem cards of different sizes do not mix
>or is there something else?

I presume you mean a Thinkpad A21P?
 Ive 2 of these and its a known fault with the mem slot solder joints on
the motherboard are coming undone due to thermal? plastic deformation.
 It can be resoldered by a competent motherboard technician in situ.
the laptop doent need to be dismantled.
 Other than trying 2 identical memory modules, theres not alot else
youcan do.
 The A21P will take 2 256mb modules. runs much beter with this mount of
memory.
 Hope this helps.
 Ted
Dorset