[ltp] Re: Other uses for the fingerprint reader?

Dom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:11:20 +0200

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Wed Apr 23 2008, Daniel Castro <castromd-AT-tcd.ie> wrote:
>

>> well not really... i only use it for password authentication.... which
>> as you said is not very safe..... but I'm not that crazy about
>> security either, and swiping your finger is much faster....
>>

> Seriously?  I had the reader activated for a while and got so fed up
> with misreads that I longed for the old days when I could just type in
> my password accurately in a quarter second.  Has the software improved
> recently?

I wonder how I never had the misreads I hear people talk about. I can't
recall when was the last time I had to swipe my finger twice to get a
good read (only using this Z61m since December last year).

Note that I only use fingerprint reader when booting instead of power-on
password and that I enrolled my fingerprints under Win XP (still have
that partition). So could this (misreads) be due to Linux driver?

Also I hope you realize there is only one correct way to swipe your
finger which I learned in less than 5 minutes when I first enrolled my
fingerprints under Win XP. When I swipe my finger that way, I almost
never have misreads.

--
Dom
http://domdelimar.com