[ltp] Re: Other uses for the fingerprint reader?

Rolf Kutz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:25:06 +0200

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

On 26/04/08 17:45 +0200, Damien Challet wrote:

>> (For practical purposes it would be much easier to power off the laptop
>> and then choose rescue mode in the Grub menu.  That's free passwordless
>> root shell for anyone with physical access to the laptop.  I don't leave
>> my laptop unattended.)
>
>unless you define a password in grub.

But then people rip out the hdd. Well, you could
set a hdd password or encrypt it, but that would
contradict the easy to use fingerprint reader. And
that's what it all boild down to: Fingerprint
readers aren't for security (they aren't secure),
but for convenience (or for show).

regards, Rolf
--=20
=2E..about the greatest democrazy in the world.

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV--