[ltp] Re: Other uses for the fingerprint reader?

Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:03:47 +0300

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 04:19:52PM +0200, Dom wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> (For practical purposes it would be much easier to power off the laptop
>> and then choose rescue mode in the Grub menu.  That's free passwordless
>> root shell for anyone with physical access to the laptop.  I don't leave
>> my laptop unattended.)
>>
> Marius, you couldn't do that on my ThinkPad ;)
> Since I have a Power-on password.
> Just tried it and I had to swipe my finger before accessing rescue mode =
=20
> with the blue ThinkVantage button.
> And to get to the grub menu I always have to swipe my finger / enter =20
> power-on password.

That's nice.  I hadn't though the BIOS could accept a finger swipe.

> Admittedly, only recently I found out how ineffective this way of =20
> protection is though. I don't know who can make this right (if possible) =
=20
> and who to contact, but power-on password is *not* required when =20
> resuming from suspend-to-ram, and I've only recently started using =20
> suspend-to-ram and I like it so power-on password is kind of pointless =
=20
> now... :(

Gnome-power-manager locks the screensaver when I suspend the laptop, so
I always have to type my password/swipe my finger on resume.

Combine that with your power-on password, and a thief will have to make
a fake finger out of whatever they're made of (or rip out the HDD).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Shift happens.
		-- Doppler