[ltp] t61p vs t41p

Jim Rockford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:37:35 -0400

------=_Part_3124_15063846.1209501456181

Hi -- just searching for a few opinions here.  I have had a T41p for a
number of years, and have successfully run Fedora on it and
have generally been pleased with it.  Soon after the T4x series we had the
IBM to Lenovo transition.  In fact, a colleague of mine
bought a Thinkpad (can't recall which one precisely, but it did have a
fingerprint reader) from Lenovo not long after I got my T41p.
He was a Thinkpad devotee like myself, but he complained bitterly about his
Lenovo purchase.  He said that the keyboard wasn't nearly
as nice, the fingerprint reader didn't work reliably, and numerous other
things that he attributed to the Lenovo transition.

I'm in the market for a new Laptop and would love to get a T61p, but I'd
like to be instilled with some confidence that the Thinkpad T series
hasn't gone down the tubes now that Lenovo is making them.  Any opinions
from those who know the T series well.  Among my questions are:

(1) Is the T61p keyboard the same (in terms of the feel of the button
presses, the tracker button, etc)?  Worse or better?
(2) Is the T61p as sturdy as the T41p (i.e. equally immune to typical laptop
abuse)?
(3) Does the fingerprint reader work reliably?
(4) Is Lenovo customer service of reasonably high quality?
(5) No new complications running linux (i.e. wireless issues) with the
T61p?  (I will run Fedora)
(6) (maybe most important) Does the T61p run as *quiet* as the T41p?

These are among many of my concerns about investing in a new Thinkpad now
that Lenovo is running the show.

Much thanks,
Jim

------=_Part_3124_15063846.1209501456181

bought a Thinkpad (can&#39;t recall which one precisely, but it did have a fingerprint reader) from Lenovo not long after I got my T41p. <br>He was a Thinkpad devotee like myself, but he complained bitterly about his Lenovo purchase.&nbsp; He said that the keyboard wasn&#39;t nearly<br>

------=_Part_3124_15063846.1209501456181--