[ltp] [SOLVED] Immediate Poweroff when Docking

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:20:45 -0400

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67382.html

I've struggled with this problem since I bought my T60p -- even called
Lenovo tech support about it -- but I got nowhere and eventually I just
gave up hot docking.  Then I suppose Lenovo figured out what was going
on last October.

Did they notify the user community about this?  I didn't hear about it,
and I bought the dock directly from them.  As far as I'm concerned, this
is a sufficiently-serious design defect to warrant a recall.

So I called tech support to get the little rubber parts mentioned on the
page above.  The guy I talked to was great, but he actually had to
*bend* the rules to send me the fix for free!  It turns out that
although the laptop was still under warranty with on-site service, I
hadn't bought a warranty for the dock.  Of course, the dock was still
under warranty when I first reported the problem; they just hadn't
figured out how to fix it yet.  The support guy informed me that if
these feet didn't fix the problem, I'd have to buy a whole new dock.
Sheesh.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting