[ltp] [SOLVED] Immediate Poweroff when Docking

Stephen Ryan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:16:39 -0400

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:20 AM, David Abrahams
<dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote:

>  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-67382.html
>
>  I've struggled with this problem since I bought my T60p -- even called
>  Lenovo tech support about it -- but I got nowhere and eventually I just
>  gave up hot docking.  Then I suppose Lenovo figured out what was going
>  on last October.
>
>  Did they notify the user community about this?  I didn't hear about it,
>  and I bought the dock directly from them.  As far as I'm concerned, this
>  is a sufficiently-serious design defect to warrant a recall.
>
>  So I called tech support to get the little rubber parts mentioned on the
>  page above.  The guy I talked to was great, but he actually had to
>  *bend* the rules to send me the fix for free!  It turns out that
>  although the laptop was still under warranty with on-site service, I
>  hadn't bought a warranty for the dock.  Of course, the dock was still
>  under warranty when I first reported the problem; they just hadn't
>  figured out how to fix it yet.  The support guy informed me that if
>  these feet didn't fix the problem, I'd have to buy a whole new dock.
>  Sheesh.

Humph; I've been having the same problem, off-and-on, for over a year,
and I've been engaged in all kinds of voodoo to try to keep it from
happening (it happens less if the power cord is unplugged, and also if
the laptop is sleeping when I hot-dock).  I'll have to see if I can
get these so I can stop that.

Thanks for passing this on!

--
Stephen Ryan