[ltp] Brightness up/down with video module

rocku linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:41:40 +0200

Hi,
I have a R61i Thinkpad (Intel X3100 graphics) which works nearly perfect
under Debian unstable with 2.6.24 kernel from repository, custom built
with hdaps and thinkpad_acpi ver. 0.19 patches. However I still didn't
manage to fix a couple of issues, one of which are the brightness up and
down keys. The problem is that every single keystroke increased /
decreased the brightness twice. I've done some investigation and found
that I have VID and VID1 under /proc/acpi/video. Watching the changes in
/proc/acpi/video/*/LCD0/brightness while pressing up/down reveals that
each keystroke affects both files, however the current level in each of
these files is slightly different (+/- 1 level). This corresponds quite
well with the observed brightness changes, so my thought is that the
problem could by solved by simply disabling one of the VIDs. Manually
'echo 50 > brightness' does actually change the brightness only when
issueing VID1 and not VID. Unfortunately, video module doesn't seem to
have any options and the docs aren't helpful either.

Could anyone with properly working brightness up/down key control check
to see how does it look like in His or Hers system? I'm wondering if I
should file a bug report to video module developers...

--
rocku
digimortal_at_wp.pl