[ltp] Massive nVidia GPU failure rate in the field, but no recall

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Aug 2008 17:52:09 +0200

Hi,

> I believe this might be very bad news for those of us that are
> unfortunate
> enough to have ThinkPads with nVidia crap inside, as the chances are
> high it
> has a G84 or G86 (I didn't find any conclusive info about whether the
> ThinkPads have these two nVidia GPUs).

The NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (T61) and NVIDIA Quadro NVS 570M (T61p) use
G84/G86 chips. (In fact the chip does not matter, it's about the
package) But:

The main source behind the articles (Charlie Demerjian) is a Nvidia
hater. He has attacked Nvidia nonstop in the last 4 years. He almost
always misseg the point.

However the 150-200mio$-figure is true. Nvidia is really expecting
a higher failture rate. But they sold in total 18mio G86/G84 chips.
That is > 10$ per laptop. Fixing one laptop will cost 100$ (my guess)
so they expect a 10% points higher failture rate.

cu