[ltp] Booting a X31 from USB without the HPA to get into BIOS?

Richard Hartmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 19:06:06 +0200

Hi all,

I have a X31 which does not have its HPA, any more. When pressing the
Access IBM key during bootup, I get an error message about not being
able to verify checksums or some such. I am using said laptop to write
an email, but can easily provide the full error message if need be.
As said laptop is not set up to boot from USB, I now have a problem.

Is there any way to make this laptop from USB so I can reinstall the OS
on it? Both Windows and Linux are installed at the moment so I can use
tools which run on either.

As the hdd of said laptop is dying, I need to reinstall and the sooner
the better.

Thanks for all input,
Richard