[ltp] Thinkpad T60 2007-CTO bluetooth not working

Sat, 2 Aug 2008 01:32:05 -0300

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008, Josh wrote:
>> I'd say the ThinkPad BIOS is reporting that the device is permanentely
>> disabled or not installed as far as thinkpad-acpi knows, but I need data to
>> know for sure what is happening.
>>
>> Load thinkpad-acpi with the debug=0xffff option, and send me the kernel logs
>> it will produce.
>
> Hopefully I did this right. First I tried booting with the hardware
> switch set to the off position. No change. It booted fine, I switched it
> to on and wlan came up but still no /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth file was
> created.

Ok.  Thanks for trying, it was a long shot anyway, but since it was an easy
and fast one, I thought it better to ask.

> Aug  1 17:39:37 joshm-laptop kernel: [  528.383594] thinkpad_acpi:
> ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.17

It *is* possible that you would have a better luck using a more recent
thinkpad-acpi, but I am not certain about that.

> Aug  1 17:39:37 joshm-laptop kernel: [  528.383600] thinkpad_acpi:
> ThinkPad BIOS 79ETD7WW (2.17 ), EC 79HT50WW-1.07

The newest BIOS for your machine is 2.22, it might be a good idea to
upgrade. I do NOT think this will fix bluetooth, however we can never be
sure by just looking at the public changelogs.

> Aug  1 17:39:37 joshm-laptop kernel: [  528.390372] thinkpad_acpi:
> ibm_init: probing for bluetooth
> Aug  1 17:39:37 joshm-laptop kernel: [  528.390490] thinkpad_acpi:
> bluetooth_init: bluetooth hardware not installed

BIOS reports it is hidden or not present.  ThinkPad ACPI tries no further
than this.  If you boot without letting thinkpad-acpi load at all (rename
the thinkpad_acpi.ko file under /lib/modules to something else temporarily
to make sure of it), does bluetooth show up on lsusb (always run lsusb as
root) ?

If it does show up, does it disappear when you move thinkpad_acpi.ko back to
its proper name, and modprobe thinkpad-acpi ?

> I'll have to get back to you on the kernel and whatnot. It's been years
> since I've compiled my own kernel. Fedora->SuSE-> Ubuntu have ruined me
> since my old slackware days ;) I probably haven't built a kernel since
> slackware 8.0
>
> That and it's late on Friday and my 2 year old is running wild. If I
> spend all evening on the computer my wife will be cooking me for dinner
> tonight ;-)

We can take it slowly :-)

If you DO want to try to compile the kernel, here are some starting points:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

and

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

If you use the later one, you can use this on step "2" (git clone):
git clone git://repo.or.cz/linux-2.6/linux-acpi-2.6/ibm-acpi-2.6.git release/2.6.25

The directory for step 3 onwards will not be linux-2.6 but ibm-acpi-2.6, so
take note of that.

(You could also use release/2.6.26, but I don't think 2.6.26.1 is very safe
yet.  release/2.6.25 is exactly I am running on my T43, and it is 2.6.25.14
+ latest thinkpad-acpi release).

Sure.  Ping me on ibm-acpi@hmh.eng.br when you have tried that.

>> I am the kernel maintainer for thinkpad-acpi.  Thanks for the offer, I might
>> have to take you up on it if it is indeed a bug in thinkpad-acpi, in order
>> to test the fix.  But for now, the debug output of thinkpad-acpi would be a
>> good starting point...
>
> Well first off I'de like to thank you for your work. If it is needed I
> can provide you with SSH access to a 2007-CTO for quite some time. We
> have "loaners" for when the kids break theirs and I just swap HDD and
> send them on their way while I repair theirs. The kids do not come back
> until late august and I have a good many loaners available. One missing
> for awhile wouldn't be any problem.

It would have to be one where the problem is showing up, I think.  If you do
set up one where I am allowed to rebuild the kernel and do reboots, it might
be enough to track down the problem.  But I will need root access for this.
It would be best if it were a freshly-installed box which you can wipe when
I am done with the testing.

If you do decide to go this way, email me off-list at ibm-acpi@hmh.eng.br
and I will send you a SSH key and instructions, so that we can do this
safely without exposing any passwords to anyone, and without bothering the
list.

  Henrique Holschuh