[ltp] No LUKS support for T61p in any kernel after 2.6.24-16-generic in Ubuntu

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:40:57 -0400

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 08:57 +0200, Michael Karcher wrote:
> If you are using the same initramfs creator as debian, you might try
> to put the following lines into /etc/initramfs-tools/modules (I have
> them there, because on some combination of initramfs-tools and kernel
> they were needed):

> cryptomgr
> aes
> sha256

Unfortunately this does not work either.

What I get is a bootup that prompts me for my LUKS password, then sits
there for about 8 minutes doing nothing, and finally reports the
following (comments interspersed below):

----
key slot 0 unlocked.
Command successful.

# It always says this, even when it works
cryptsetup: failed to setup lvm device
Done.

# Waits 8 minutes here
Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
Done.

	Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
	or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
There appears to be one or more degraded LVM volumes, and your root
device may depend on the LVM volumes being online. One or more of the
LVM volumes are degraded:
/sbin/lvm: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.5: cannot
ALERT! /dev/mapper/Encrypted_volumes-root does not exist. Dropping to a
shell!

----

Then it dumps me to the busybox shell.

The reason it can't find or load libncurses is because that exists
within the encrypted LVM which it can't seem to mount and unlock.