[ltp] Booting from a portable drive bay? (was: [Thinkpad] Booting a X31 from USB without the HPA to get into BIOS?)

Richard Hartmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:46:23 +0200

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 22:07, Chris Penn <cantormath@gmail.com> wrote:

> you could try something like this
> http://www.teamteabag.com/2008/05/17/howto-easy-install-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-or-most-other-distros-from-usb/

I tried several ways to boot from USB with several sticks.
As I have quite some experience with making stuff boot with
the weirdest settings, I don't think the error can lie with me,
any more. Which is highly frustrating, as I prefer learning
new stuff over 'does not work, tough luck' :/

> does the bios see the drive at all?
> as a removable drive?
> cdrom?

No. I do have a CD-ROM option in the boot menu and BIOS,
it does not expand like the HDD entry does for the HDD and
USB stick.

> when you hit f12 during boot, does it give you boot drive options?

Yes. I cold not find anything that would work, though.

If anyone has any other ideas, it would be _hugely_ appreciated.
Especially annoying is the fact that I am even using an
external drive from IBM..

I will probably have to fall back to installing on another box and
moving the hdd after that. Ugly as the only other laptop with
built-in CD-ROM has a SATA connector.

Richard

PS: Before anyone suggests [c]debootstrap: cdebootstrap throws
erros, debootstrap (still!) does not set up a system completely.
As I had loads of fun with systems installed from debootstrap,
I will pass on that option.